Composting worms a danger to UK's indeginous species?

Really aimed at domestic users who have or want to start worm composting. Problems? Failures? Success! Ask the question here.

Composting worms a danger to UK's indeginous species?

Postby Doggymix » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:29 pm

Hi,

A friend recently told me that Tiger worms and other composting worms can cause problems for the UK's indeginous commonal garden species. Is that correct? I see you calrify exactly what a Tiger worm is but are the worms you guys advise indeginous to the UK? I'm just about to set up my wormery and could do with being able to tackle such questions at the allotment!

Many thanks
Doggymix

Re: Composting worms a danger to UK's indeginous species?

Postby NigelB » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:13 pm

Hi Doggymix
You may think that the following post is what you would expect from the company selling the worms but I assure you this is correct!

I was surprised to read about your friends comments, all the worms sold by Worms Direct and all other companies in the UK (that I am aware of) are all indiginous species and have lived together since time began! Tiger worms are indiginous, Dendrobaena are indiginous, Lumbricus terrestris are indiginous and all can be found living together all over the northern hemisphere! I suspect that your friends identification of worms has got muddled somewhere along the way or the information she/he has is incorrect, this does highlight the dangers of repeating incorrect information, anyhow - no problems.
If you or your friend need further clarification, please come back but preferably with latin names of the worms in question as it is usually using common names that causes confusion. I hope this has answered your question and put your mind at rest,

Regards, Nigel.
NigelB

Re: Composting worms a danger to UK's indeginous species?

Postby Doggymix » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:01 am

That's excellent, thanks very much. I'll go and subtly set him straight...and go and buy some worms!
Doggymix

Return to Worm Composting - Small Scale