large scale wormery examples

This forum is for people who are interested in the ins and outs of larger scale worm composting of commercial, agricultural or equine organic wastes.

large scale wormery examples

Postby candleford » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:57 pm

Are there any large scale commercial systems that can be visited in the UK?
candleford

Re: large scale wormery examples

Postby wormfarmer » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:51 pm

How large a scale are you looking at?
Are you looking for a large scale worm breeding operation or a large scale worm composting operation?
We have 6000m2 of breeding beds and are interested in worm composting.
wormfarmer

Postby WormKing » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:09 pm

wormfarmer wrote:How large a scale are you looking at?
Are you looking for a large scale worm breeding operation or a large scale worm composting operation?
We have 6000m2 of breeding beds and are interested in worm composting.

Hows it going? nice to be here, pretty quite at the moment. Im interested in doing some worm composting also, currently based in London looking for some land to rent at the minute, I run an organic fertilizer company already but would like to move into truly renewable products in the future. Anyone interested in getting in touch for swapping ideas or resources or just to say hello :)
WormKing

Postby NigelB » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:44 pm

Welcome Wormking
The forum is relatively new and has been a little slow, we (Worms Direct) were hoping to develop more discussion in the large scale commercial sector but it seems that potential users are a little reluctant in posting! The worm industry has always been a little shy which I think is a great shame as sharing experiences could be very beneficial. The production and use of worm casts as an "organic growing medium" is just such a case, hopefully, as time goes on, users will come out of their shells and discuss!

All the best, Nigel.
NigelB

Postby wormfarmer » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:37 pm

WormKing, we'd be interested in talking to you if you are looking at organic fertilisers, but don't want to tread on any toes. Nigel, do you have a problem with us talking about supplying wormcast? I've had a look at your shop and can't see any mention of you marketing cast. We have around 500 tonnes that has been analysed and is ready to go.
wormfarmer

Postby NigelB » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:20 pm

No problem to me, it would be interesting to see some real movement ahead on wormcasts, I suspect there are quite a few growers who have this product available, when we were concentrating on the growing of worms wholesale, some 7 years ago, we looked at the wormcast angle but there seemed to be very little demand and concentrating on other aspects of the worm business, we were not in a position to get involved in trying to market it, there is no doubt that there should be good opportunities because it is a very good product, so go for it!
NigelB

Postby earlybird » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:40 pm

i too am interested in large scale wormeries.... particularly from a small business angle..... ie how much land would i need?? to make a good turnover? and what kind of start up costs am i loooking at??? also i think worm castings will enjoy a good market soon..... just got a feeling.

organic is in after all.

if anyone wants to help me, i'd be very grateful... if anyone needs staff... i'd be happy to come work and learn... although it would be with the intention of eventually starting up in north lincs... so if you don't want future competition.... then you probably don't want me treading on any toes!!!

any help/advice though would be great
earlybird

Postby wormfarmer » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:48 am

Earlybird, I'd be very happy to talk to you. As it happens we'll be closing our operation down over the next 12 months so you'd be very welcome to come up and see what we do and how we do it. We might even be able to help you get up and running. You can contact me via our website at www.northumbrianworms.co.uk.
wormfarmer

Postby wormfarmer » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:50 am

Wormking, if you are still interested please give me a call to talk about wormcast for your organic fertiliser business. You can contact me through our website at http://www.northumbrianworm.co.uk.
wormfarmer

Postby taff » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:46 pm

Hi I saw this site and thout it mite be interesting but dates on postings are old is there anyone out there I was interested in starting a worm farm and wanted to speak with like minded people to swap info and ideas if anyone is reading please reply and lets get a forum going I am British but live in Frence
taff

Next

Return to Worm Composting - Large Scale